Do not take this medication by mouth. It is for use only on the skin, hair, fabrics, or other surfaces.
Use this medication exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use it in larger amounts or for longer than recommended.
You may need to shake the medication before each use. Follow the directions on the medicine label.
Do not apply Generic Acticin topical to open cuts or wounds.
To treat scabies:
- Make sure your skin is clean and dry. Apply a thin layer of Generic Acticin topical to all body parts from the neck down to the soles of the feet. Rub in completely. Leave the medication on for 8 to 14 hours, then wash it off completely.
- When using Generic Acticin topical on an infant, also apply the medication to the scalp, temples, and forehead. Avoid applying close to the eyes, nose, mouth, or genitals.
- If your condition does not clear up within 14 days after applying Generic Acticin topical, use another application.
To treat head lice:
- When using the shampoo, apply it to dry hair only. Cover all hair completely and leave the shampoo in for 10 minutes. Then work into a lather using warm water and rinse out thoroughly.
- When using the cream rinse, wash your hair using shampoo only (no conditioner or 2-in-1 shampoo). Rinse thoroughly and towel dry the hair, leaving it damp. Apply enough of the cream rinse to completely saturate all hair. Leave the cream rinse in your hair for 10 minutes.
- Use a towel or washcloth to protect your eyes while the medication is left in your hair.
- Use a second application if lice are still seen 7 days after your first treatment.
- You may also use a nit comb to remove lice eggs from the hair. Your hair should be slightly damp while using a nit comb. Work on only one section of hair at a time, combing through 1- to 2-inch strands from the scalp to the ends.
- Rinse the nit comb often during use. Place removed nits into a sealed plastic bag and throw it into the trash to prevent re-infestation.
- Check the scalp again daily to make sure all nits have been removed.
To treat pubic lice (crabs):
- Wash and dry the treatment area. Apply Generic Acticin topical to all pubic hair and any surrounding hairs on the thighs and around the anus.
- Avoid getting this medication inside the rectum or vagina.
- Leave the medication in for 10 minutes. Then work into a lather using warm water and rinse out thoroughly.
- You may also use a nit comb to remove lice eggs from pubic hair (hair should be slightly damp).
- All sexual partners should also be treated to prevent re-infestation of crabs.
- To prevent reinfection, wash all clothing, hats, bed clothes, bed linens, and towels in hot water and dry in high heat. Dry-clean any non-washable clothing. Hair brushes, combs, and hair accessories should be soaked in hot water for at least 10 minutes.
For the most complete treatment of lice or scabies, you must treat your environment (clothing, bedding, etc) at the same time you treat your body.